Saturday, June 3, 2017

Montauk, The End

We travelled to Montauk with our plein air easels. 
The cliffs were wreathed in fog. We were greeted by the drone of the lighthouse foghorn.
I had to visit. Hugh humored my wish to climb to the top.
 The Montauk Point Lighthouse was commissioned by President George Washington in 1796. It is the second lighthouse built in the USA, the first was Boston Light. The lighthouse museum has a collection of Fresnel lenses plus exhibits on Montauk history. Yes, and there's that tower climb.
I would have been happy to set up my easel in the parking lot and paint the light house from there. Hugh's comment, "You don't see any water!" Point taken. We set off for water and cliff views.
At the north side of the lighthouse, some nice surf.
Camp Hero with its legendary radar.
Rugged ravines and dangerous drop offs.
We could still hear the foghorn.
Hugh chose a view looking down a ravine towards the cliffs.
photo by Hugh Gallagher
by Hugh Gallagher
I chose a view from a bit further back from the edge.
Suddenly a bank of fog floated in. Just the two of us here on this cliff, would we be engulfed by fog?
Cloaked in fog, any misstep would be hazardous.
Luckily the fog blew back out to sea.
A beautiful afternoon.
We worked up an appetite for a LUNCH stop on the way home.

Links
HOURS
Hours change seasonally and are weather permitting.
May 30th – June 18th

Daily:        10:30AM-4:30PM
Weekends:   10:30AM-4:30PM

June 19th – September 1st

Daily:        10:30AM-5:30PM
Saturdays:   10:30AM-7:00PM
Sunday:   10:30AM-5:30PM



4 comments:

  1. You had gorgoeus weather at a breathtaking place..made it all the more beautiful w/ your easels and paints..etc..
    Love that TSHIRT..as you know ..I watch the Affair..I am craving a lobster roll..GOOD for YOU!
    I bet Noah wasn't there..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique, I thought of you! I still haven't watched that show... it was a spectacular day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't resist a lighthouse and your scenery is magnificent. I love seeing the painting and the easels outside. And then your lunch. Oh, biggest sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, yes you would love it! We are so lucky.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!